Saturday, May 23, 2009

my left arm.

on the way home from the ER this evening, i [brooke] reflected on everything i've ever done to my left arm:
  1. age 3-4: i fell over a pig fence and ripped a chunk of skin from under my bicep. there wasn't enough skin left to stitch it back together. [edit: just realized this was on my right arm.]
  2. age 5-6: sliced my pinky open with a butcher knife. no stitches needed, but still have issues with control of my pinky. watch me play guitar, i rarely use my pinky.
  3. age 8-9: i fell off my skateboard and split open my elbow. a trip to the ER for 3 stitches.
  4. age 14-15: one of my best friends, and he is still one of my best friends, shot me in the arm with a high powered pellet gun. a trip to the ER for x-rays, pellet removal, and 3 stitches.
  5. age 23: sliced the back of my thumb open down to the tendons with an exacto knife. a trip to the ER, 6 stitches and 6 weeks of healing time. it took me a year to get full movement back to my thumb.
  6. age 31: fell off my bike while riding down the burke gilman trail and punched a dime-sized hole on my outer elbow. a trip to the ER, 3 x-rays and 3 stitches.


the good things that have happened to my left arm? my wedding ring!

4 comments:

scott d said...

i remember #5!!!

you're awesome, bro.

andrea said...

I can't believe you put these pictures on our blog....

Mom K2 said...

OUCH! That must have REALLY hurt!

Mom T. said...

Hmmmmm....I seem to remember all of those things. What kind of mother was I, anyway? During those years my life consisted of one boy or another tearing out the door to meet Dad coming home from work with the greeting, "Hi Dad! Guess how many stitches I had today?" I consciously rotated emergency rooms so I didn't get hauled in for neglect! I didn't think that "Well, he"s a boy!" would cut it with children's services. :) And I didn't want to hear, "It's the Trislers again!" when I walked into the emergency room.