Sunday, August 16, 2009

my first triathlon

It's my goal that every year I try something new. So this year I took part in the Danskin Triathlon here in Seattle, at Genesee Park. I was one of 5300 women (wow, I know. let's just say there was a lot of estrogen present.)
This was kind of a big deal because...well...I'm terrified of drowning. So what better way to get over my fear than to sign up for a triathlon with 100+ other women around me kicking and scratching their way to the end? Brilliant, Andrea.

The line up of bikes.


Getting ready for my swim of 1/2 mile.


There were waves of 30-40 women every 3 minutes. This is my wave getting ready to dive into Lake Washington.


And the race begins!


Finishing up the swim. I'm out there...somewhere.
And no, I did not drown.


I met up with my friend, Jenn, at the end of the swim. Here we are dorking around during our transition to bikes.


Then I was off on my bike for 12 miles, across the I-90 bridge to Mercer Island and back.


The last leg was to run a 5K (3.1 miles) around to Seward Park and back to the finish line.

I finished in just under 2 hours. haha.


Jenn and I...our first tri! We had a blast and look forward to doing others together next year.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrea, I'd like to make a correction...we never dork around...geez :)I'm really proud of you for giving this a tri (ha-ha-ha) Let's do another one!

Mom T. said...

WOW! This is impressive.... but then again you are a pretty impressive person! I am so proud of you, and think I couldn't be any prouder. Then you go and do something else, and another button pops off my chest! So...... which was the hardest, the triathlon or the Flying Peg Marathon? Love, Mom

Mom K2 said...

You did good! I can't wait to see what you're gonna do next year!

brk said...

i am so proud of you!

you never cease to amaze me!

Jon Bial said...

Good for you!